We began by wetting the area to identify colour changes in the soil. Areas of interest were outlined, and cut and fill lines were photographed with their respective numbers. The elevation of several points were measured using the total station. We continued to excavate the grave uncovered last year in the South East section of sector B, sketal remains were recovered. A grave was found in the North East section of sector B, fill number 3902. Fill number 3896 was also partially excavated. Skeletal remains and pottery were recovered from both numbers 3902 and 3896. Two other small sections were excavated but nothing significant was found.
Today the group in the sectioned off area cleaned down the section and using a small pickaxe made the walls all 90 degree angles. The section supervisor decided that the debris should be cleared from the exposed wall as well as remove all the dirt off the tarp covering the burials. After it was cleared, the tarp was removed and the bones were prepared for a picture and eventual removal. Pottery and more bones were uncovered. The other group pickaxed the ground level and scraped the entire section down another centimeter. A slate and brick were found.
Today we began our first day of truly excavating the site. Our group was divided into 2 groups: one concentrated on the excavation of an already known burial while the other focused on a potential burial. The group started by lightly cleaning off the tops of the burials and prospected burials, removing the top layer to expose the real color beneath the surface. They followed the rocks to find the edges of the burial as well. More stones included in the clay indicated burial fill, as opposed to empty clay. We also learned techniques on how to use the skewers and the small brushes, using them to carefully clean and remove the dirt around the fragile bones. We also learned that stones placed vertically in the ground could indicate the edge of a cut. A potential area was identified in the area of the second group due to the apparent concentration of stones in this area. As we dug further, it became apparent that there was a circular arrangement of stones which indicated a possible post hole.
In context 6209, loose bones were found which includes the vertebrae, scapula, and clavicle. As the set of remains were in articulation, we speculate that there is only one individual for this specific area. This was an already dug grave site that was further being analyzed by this part of our group.
In area 6208, we were working on the perimeter, in which we were having doubts on whether there were one of two areas that were a grave. Upon finding two craniums in alignment on different levels, we confirmed that there were two individuals placed next to each other. Based on where the cranium was compared to the proposed end of the grave, we think the individuals body might have been cut. There were also pieces of pottery found, we think for cooking purposes because of the blackened burn marks and the fact that there were granules in the clay for heat resistance as opposed to the other pots that were used for liquid. In addition, a faunal remain was also found, in which our supervisor assumed to be a boars tooth.