25 LUGLIO 2018
Resoconto della giornata di scavo
Nella porzione meridionale del Settore B continua la rimozione dello strato US 3964 e l’abbassamento generale dell’area, con lo scopo di mettere in luce i livelli precedenti le fasi di frequentazione della chiesa di XI secolo.
Today the Southern Section of B was pickaxed 3-4cm more to level and then was cleaned.
Lo scavo dell' US 5527, il riempimento individuato in un taglio irregolare e orientato nord sud direttamente a ovest rispetto alla struttura muraria USM 5042 ha dimostrato come questo sia il risultato di una fusione di tre diversi riempimenti, relativi a tre tagli orientati in senso ovest est e tagliati dalla struttura in questione. Le tre fosse sono il residuo di tre tombe relative alla fase cimiteriale di XI secolo, precedenti alla costruzione delle strutture del chiostro.
Nell'area 7000 invece si procede con la rimozione degli strati superficiali che costituiscono i pieni stradali di età contemporanea.
Today was a shorter day due to the fieldtrip tp San Genesio. In the Western trench of Section C of Area 5000, we continued to level down the pit to expose the bones previously described. In Section D of Area 5000, we continued to level down the trench to the level of the previously dug North-Western pit. During the process, we found the shaft of a long bone embedded within the Eastern side of the pit's wall. In Area 7000, we began to remove layer 7002 carefully, due to its stratigraphic proximity to layer 7006. The excavation held no significant findings (besides miscellaneous modern items and pottery sherds).
Today in area 6000 we continued removing fill 6217 and exposing the skeleton. We found the tibias and exposed more of the ribs, then cleaned up early to take a tour of another archaeological site.
We also continued removing skeleton 6244 and are documenting the process in the context sheet. The upper limbs and left innominate were fragmentary, but successfully removed and documented.
The day started off with Alan checking the area to decide which spot was best to continue on with. The decision was made that the middle North East area would be the main focus, with the soil being sprayed down first to allow the soil to be easily troweled. Once it was sprayed down, the group moved the tent over to the area to ensure the sun did not dry the patch we wanted to keep wet. The methods used today were troweling, ensuring to curve around the rocks and dig up the top few layers of dirt to find a yellow color instead. Later on in the day, the team continued the process of exposing the rocks. We found a variety of ceramics, ranging from the 14th C up to much more recently. We also found a nail.
Diario visualizzato 295 volte