- 1986 - Graduated (cum laude) from medical school (University of Florence)
- 1990 - Completed (cum laude) the Radiology Residency Program (University of Florence)
- 1992 - Staff Radiologist at the Department of Radiology of the University of Pisa
- 1998 - Assistant Professor of Radiology, University of Pisa
- 2000 - Associate Professor of Radiology, University of Pisa
- 2006 - Vice Chairman of the Radiology Residency Program at the University of Pisa
- 2007 - President of the three-year University program for Radiographers at the University of Pisa
- 2008 - 2011 Chairman of the University Radiology Section of the Santa Chiara Hospital
- 2011 - Chairman of Radiodiagnostica 3 Universitaria of the Santa Chiara Hospital
- 2013 - Chairman of the Radiotherapy Residency Program at the University of Pisa.
- He has been President of the Working Group for Computer Science in Radiology of the Italian Association of Radiology (1998-2002), President of the Information Technology Committee of the European Association of Radiology (1999-2007), President of EuroPACS (2002-2005), Scientific Director of Eurorad www.eurorad.org (2002-2010), Member of the Board of SIRM Italian Society of Medical Radiology (2004 – 2012), President of the congress Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery (2012).
- Is Deputy Editor of the "International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery".
- Is co-editor of nine books and over 150 papers on computer applications in Radiology, advanced image processing, radiation dose in diagnostic imaging, and paleoradiology.